Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Magic Tree House: Tonight on the Titanic


"Magic Tree House: Tonight on the Titanic by Mary Pope Osborne is one story of the many adventures two children have in their magic tree house. Jack and Annie are able to travel to the places they read about in different books by simply pointing and wishing. On a stormy night, Annie hears a voice and wakes up Jack to join her at the magic tree house. When they get there, there is a dog which they have never seen before. It pushes a book called, "The Unsinkable Ship" and they children go on their adventure with the dog. On this adventure, they must find four gifts to break the dog's spell; they find the first on this adventure. Jack and Annie arrive two hours before the sinking of the Titanic and although they are frightened, they cannot understand why the passengers aren't. As they continue through the ship, Jack refers to the book and knows facts such as one that explains how no other ship is remotely close enough to be able to save everyone. They make their way to third class where, with the help of the dog (who they end up naming Teddy), they come across a young boy, William, and his older sister, Lucy, who have no knowledge of the ship's sinking. All four of them make their way to the deck and when confronted with the lifeboats, Lucy and William do not want to go because they feel safer on this big 'unsinkable' ship over a small frail boat on this ocean. Annie helps with encouragement and ultimately sparks a bit of bravery for the children. After some concerns are shared for Jack and Annie's safety, Lucy and William are reassured that they will be safe. And as a parting gift, Lucy give Jack and Annie their father's watch as a gift for good luck. When Annie is lifted onto a lifeboat, Jack is later able to get her off and they begin searching for the tree house. The ship begins to sink and chaos for the children starts in their search. As the ship sinks, they find it with the help of their furry friend and enter leaving the sinking ship behind. When they are home, both are overcome with grief at the horror of this ship sinking with people still aboard. The dog disappears after saving the lives of these children and Jack and Annie return home remembering the Titanic in this book which keeps its memory alive.

The story is inspiring because even children, when called to the task, must and can be braver than most. Annie provided encouragement and they saved the lives of these children while their dog saved theirs. It's an exciting adventure as well as educational because of the facts Jack reads from his book. It also introduces a sad situation very delicately for young readers, in that being on a sinking ship with no hope of survival is beyond frightening. Also, it's sad because so many people lost their lives that day. However, as expressed, the lessons obtained from this story include courage and hope as well as being exposed to a bit of grief because of the scary situation and sad event that happened when the Titanic sank.

6 comments:

  1. Celia, Thank you for such a detailed telling of the story, but I found myself wanting to know what the illustrations are like and what the meaning was for the reader or the characters. I guess I would want to hear about the book from a critical literacy perspective. You did a great job writing the story up, but my favorite part was the summary at the end and I wanted that part to be longer. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds amazing! What I love most about this book is the bravery the children portray within the story. teaching kids bravery within a sticky situation is very important because children will get into situations where they have to be confident and strong. I think your interpretation of the story is really good about the children being frightened and also this does show like Ana said about Critical Literacy especially when Jack reads from the book. This is a good encouraging book for children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls! I've never written a book review before so I was a little clueless on what to do but I'm glad it was good for my first one. I'll definitely work more on the critical literacy part for my future blog posts. I think I just felt like I was being too repetitive so I write too thoroughly on this part. Even so, I had fun writing it! I know I loved the Magic Tree House books when I was younger because it made me feel like I could do anything and I loved using my imagination in this way. I know this seems to be a little harder for kids today with all of the accessible technology so I would love to be able to implement this practice on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read these books when I was younger and I loved them. Your summary of the story was very well written. I enjoyed how you showed that there is a deeper understanding to the kid’s journey than just an adventure. They learn from it and their personalities thrive because of what they experience. I wish I had a magic tree house.  What grade level would you recommend for this book?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and I both! And I remember reading these books when I was in either 4th or 5th grade. Middle school age is good too. I know I enjoyed re-reading it now so even college-age... Just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved these stories growing up! Although I have read many, many of the Magic Tree House Books I never read this one. I thought you did a great job on summarizing up the story and want to read this book myself. I think these books are great for children that can teach them lessons on many things, especially history. Thanks for sharing this book!

    ReplyDelete