Friday, February 22, 2013

Firefighters In The Dark


Firefighters in the Dark by Dashka Slater contains a new, fun, unique take on modern day heroes and who their admires are. When a young girl hears fire truck sirens at night, she knows exactly where they are going and who they are going to help next.
The first is a castle where a king, queen, and fifteen princesses are trying to escape the flames caused by a dragon who only wanted to cool down his food.
The second, a garden far away in Mexico where a woman's mouth is on fire from eating a hot chili pepper.
And the third, to save boy who bounced so high off of his bed that he wound up in outer space near Pluto.
In between each rescue, the firefighters we come to know as King, Almondine, Penelope, and Bruce each try to live as normally as they can but when help calls, they never hesitate to arrive as quickly as possible. Their last rescue in this story requires the help of the little girl who finds security in their feats to cool of the stars in the night fulfilling her ultimate desire to be like them.

When you find a book you can enjoy as an adult just as much as you enjoy as a child, it's a pleasant surprise. I really enjoyed this story because of how outrageous it is. Firefighters are heroes and it's cool that this sentiment comes from the perspective of a little cool. The norm would be that a little boy would admire and aspire to be a firefighter. I also like the fact that this little girl finds comfort in the sound of the sirens because as you get older, you become more aware of the realities when you hear them; I know it doesn't necessarily make me feel safe at night. I'm a fan of books that go beyond what's physically possible and the fact that these firefighters are able to help in impossible situations involving dragons and floating in outer space makes this story intriguing. There's imagination utilized to tell the story and it allows the reader to visualize and aspire to do seemingly possible things. The illustrations are strong in that they portray exactly what's described with vivid images adding and further strengthening the story. It's a fun take on every day heroes and the lives they lead and it supports them in their efforts giving kids motivation to do good no matter what it is or how impossible it seems.

4 comments:

  1. This definitely seems like a unique book. Not the way you would expect when you are reading about firefighters. This would be an interesting book to use in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book seems amazing! I think it would help children to continue to imagine and create stories in their heads and utilize their imagination to an older age. I also like how it is about a little girl who admires these firefighters, and not a little boy, which goes away from the stereotypical thought that only boys could do that. I think it helps children see that they can be whatever they want to be when they grow up, and their imagination can take them to far places (like Pluto!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just seeing the front cover captured my attention. My sister's husband is a firefighter and paramedic so anything involving them we have. They would love this book for my little nephew. I enjoyed what you pointed out about the child in the book hearing the sirens as good, but as we grow up we fear those noises. This book is a creative way to make a children's book out of heros and firefighters. I love this book from your review and I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that this book goes above and beyond the norms and ideals of what firefighters do. I used to tell my parents I wanted to be a fireman when I was younger, so I absolutely love that the main character is a young girl. I think this is a great way to teach students about the use of their imagination.

    ReplyDelete