Saturday, March 2, 2013

The Super Hungry Dinosaur


The Super Hungry Dinosaur by Martin Waddell is a picture book story about a little boy, Hal and his dog, Billy. Hal and his dog are playing his yard when a hungry dinosaur comes who wants to eat him. And when Hal says he can't, the dinosaur then says, he's going to eat Hal's dad, mom, and his dog. They go through a chase in Hal's yard and with the help of Billy, they tie up the dinosaur with a hose. After asking "do you give in?" a number of times, the dinosaur finally gives up. He apologizes and cleans up the mess he made in the yard but he is still very hungry. But when Hal's mom brings out a big bowl of spagetti, and the dinosaur his happy. He says good bye to the family and leaves and that is how Hal saved his family from a super hungry dinosaur.

I really enjoyed this story because of how simple it is as well as the fact that it doesn't necessarily teach a lesson but it's an entertaining. It's great for early readers and as a read aloud story for kids in grades from kindergarten to about second grade. You can involve kids with almost the entire story but more, it's a wonderful tool to teach sequencing in a story and the order of events as they occur. Even while I was reading it, I wanted to read only the text on the left then the right page but this book forces you to read all across one line. It only makes sense if you do so this way so it helps to recognize how the story is supposed to be told over what we are used to as readers. The illustrations by Leonie Lord are adorable for this type of story and they tell it as much as the text does because on some pages there is no text but pictures displaying how the chase went between Hal and the dinosaur. I highly recommend this book; it's a cute story and a wonderful teaching tool.


I thought this would be cool to share. This could even be an activity. Gather a lot of different types of foods, some food coloring, even dessert items and enact this story so it makes sense in order as the events occur. I know I'd love to do something like this when I become a teacher.

3 comments:

  1. You always have the cutest books for younger children. I think it teaches a lesson that your never to young to save the day and make a difference. I think it captures the imagination of children. I would love to read this to children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story so much, mostly because of my unhealthy obsession with dinosaurs! This is something I know my pre-k class would love to read because its simple and fun! Something we can learn from this book is that not all children's books teach a life lesson, some are just fun to read! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book looks so cute and it's one that I would love to read to my classroom if I am able to teach Kindergarten or 1st grade. Children's imaginations are incredible and I think it is our job as teachers to encourage students to use their imagination and help them understand that no idea of their's is too absurd. I like the activity you included as well!

    ReplyDelete